Summer Garden Casserole
2-3 cups of cabbage leaves
4-5 carrots, cut matchstick-style
4-5 small onions, diced
2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cup cooked steamed rice
10-12 small new potatoes, cut in half
1 pound ground beef, thawed
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Sweet and Sour Tomato Sauce
1 can pureed tomatoes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
- Sauted diced onion in olive oil until translucent. Set aside to cool.
- Mix together ground beef, onion, minced garlic, rice, salt, and pepper.
- Place cabbage leaves in a microwave-safe bowl with 3-4 tablespoons of water.
- Microwave cabbage leaves in covered dish for two minutes.
- Make sauce by combining tomatoes, garlic powder, white vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Heat to a simmer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a dutch pan, place carrot matchsticks.
- Layer steamed cabbage leaves on top of carrots.
- Place new potatoes on top of cabbage leaves.
- Mix meat mixture with 1/4 cup (or so) of tomato sauce. Mix well and form into 1-inch balls. Place meat balls on top of cabbage leaves.
- Pour remaining sauce over meat balls.
- Cover the casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese for the last 5 minutes, if desired. And we desire it, because we are a cheese kind of family.