Stuffed Zucchini Squash
4 large-ish zucchini, about 3 inches in diameter
1 cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2-3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sour cream
3 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup mozerella cheese
- Boil zucchini, whole, for 10 minutes. Remove from water and let cool to the touch.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise and scoop out all the pulp. Save the pulp for later! Place zucchini in a casserole dish. (I needed to use two because I had such large zucchini halves.)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add onions and carrot and cook until onions are translucent.
- Meanwhile, mush the zucchini pulp with a potato masher or fork.
- Stir the zucchini pulp into the skillet with the onions and carrots. Add the bread crumbs, sour cream, cream cheese, 1/2 cup cheese, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir over low heat until cheeses are melted.
- Spoon the cheese-zucchini stuffing into the zucchini halves.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup mozerella cheese on top of the zucchini. Broil for 3-4 minutes, until cheese is melted and stuffing starts to golden.