Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Total raving vent.

Mommies are supposed to fix things. They are supposed to kiss boo-boos and make them all better. A mommy's hug has magical powers and can make even the worst day seem manageable. (beware: poopy talk ahead.)

It's killing me that I can't fix Lainie's problem. I can't fix her health. I can't keep her from getting sick. And even if it was normal childhood ear infections or the such, then we could cope. But diarrhea for 9 weeks and going? Every day she goes 24 hours without a nasty blow-out diaper, I think maybe she's over it. But then she follows it with 5 diarrhea-consistency diapers in a day. Even the docs are stumped. Next step -- tests. Stool samples, blood test, and who knows what else.

Why can't I fix this? Why can't I find a magic solution? Why can't I do some magic googling and find that drinking juice and eating crackers at the same time -- or some equally ridiculously simple combination -- causes uncontrollable chronic diarrhea.

Bright side. I'm trying to see the bright side. She's not getting dehydrated. She hasn't lost weight; she hasn't gained in 2 months, but she hasn't lost. It doesn't slow her down usually, except on the bad days, when she's just drained, literally and figuratively. She still eats.

If Mommy's magic isn't working and Doc is puzzled, then what? Can someone please fix this!

Updated: Today, for the first time, Lainie was too sick to stay at daycare. She had 5 blowouts before noon and was literally standing at the front window, crying for mommy for an hour while I drove home. So, I got her in with a new doctor, with a pediatrician this time. After a 15-minute appointment, the doc said she's 98 percent sure Lainie has toddler diarrhea. Doc almost laughed at my facial expression -- of course she has toddler diarrhea! She's a toddler and she has diarrhea. But apparently Toddler Diarrhea (notice the caps) is an actual illness. It's basically irritable bowel syndrome in toddlers. I "get" to take a stool sample in, just to rule out other causes, but since we've already had our well tested and treated and since she gets sick at my moms and at daycare, this our doc's likely diagnosis. So, with some diet changes, we can hopefully get it to decrease. And, best of all, it's not something that should get worse or inhibit her growth.

No comments: