Friday, December 5, 2008

I'm so lucky!

Katie actually admitted to keeping things off her wish list for Christmas because she thought they were too expensive to ask for. Not a wii, people. No, a $40 camera, a $25 pair of shoes, a scrapbook kit she really loved. And she's also the one reminding me we have 2 bags of toys to take to our local equivalent to Goodwill.

Maggie's decided to grow up. Like a light-switch, one day the fits stopped. No more tantrums or arguments when I ask her to do something. She does things without being asked, like making her bed or putting her dirty clothes in the hamper. She spent over an hour last Tuesday reading to Lainie and encouraging her to talk. "Lainie, can you say Barbie? Say Barbie! Good job, Lainie!"

And Lainie is two. It's never an easy age, especially for a minimally-verbal two-year-old. But even she's providing more moments of sunshine than anguish. Yes, she'll still stand defiantly with her little smirk when I ask her to do something she doesn't want to. But she also loves to unload the dishwasher and load the clothes into the washer and help any way she can. And she adores hours of sitting on our laps, reading book after book.

Reading back over this, it sounds like it's all about what chores they do or don't do. It's not that at all. I think I'm just focused on that aspect right now because I'm still freaking out about managing a household of 6. Also, we're so busy right now with holiday activities and school activiites and baby-prep activities that any help I get with the mundance tasks are SO appreciated. I guess my love-language has switched temporarily to acts of service.

And, since my love tank is full with all my wonderful little helpers (and one big helper) helping, I have time and patience and, well, the compassion to stop what I'm doing to fill their little love tanks: Katie's Words of Affirmation, Maggie's Physical Touch, and Lainie's Quality Time.

Now if I can just carve out DH's love tank refill, it will be a happy holidays.

No comments: