Now, I'll be the first to say we've been very, very fortunate. With the series of severe storms that have passed overhead in the past seven days, we are lucky to have our house -- much less all six high tunnels -- still standing. Serious rotation overhead, 8+ inches of rain in less than 7 hours, crazy-large hail to the south of us that died out before it got to us.... ya, we know we're lucky.
|Flooding down the hill|
But (in chronological order)...
- the lettuce all got some sort of slime and all 40 or so lettuce heads had to be harvested and trashed
- the salad mix all turned bitter, so it all needs torn out and trashed
- all the radishes and most of the turnips bolted, so they are no longer harvested, so even less to sell at the markets
- some of the Bok Choy also bolted, leaving it only harvestable for our own use
- the aphids "found" the bok choy, so the aphid battle continues, and
- the icing on the cake...we thought we only had one itty bitty little wet spot on the south side of the basement from all that rain. Instead, tonight we discovered the rain water that had seeped up into the carpet in two rooms of the basement.
Add to that the expected stresses for a family of six on one and a half incomes, Lainie's medical testing in two days, and my NCLEX in 10 days...and I am needing to remember how wonderful things were a couple months ago.
Or, I can pull a Scarlet O'Hara and at least try to worry about it tomorrow. Because today, there are giggles to hear.
|Pool time! The girls are so excited about their perfect, new swimsuits that someone anonymously gave us. Thank you!|