Grandma Pete's Broccoli Cheese Soup
(makes enough for 8-10 people)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 12-oz package frozen broccoli OR 1 head fresh broccoli, chopped and steamed (I use the Ziploc steam bags)
- 8-oz package wavy wide egg noodles
- 6 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound Velveeta, chopped
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the noodles and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli:
- If using frozen broccoli, add it and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- If using fresh broccoli, steam it in the microwave. Add it to the saucepan and immediately go to the next step.