Day 1: Pork and Beans
- 1 pound ham hocks
- 1 16-oz bag pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- Add all three ingredients to a very large crock pot. (Keep in mind the beans will more than double in size while they cook.)
- Turn on high for 8-10 hours, until beans are soft.
- Serve with warm cornbread... at least that's how we do it in our house.
Simple, right? Now, expect leftovers and use them in this recipe:
Day 2: Taco Soup
- 1-2 cup leftover pinto beans with ham pieces (be sure to remove any bone)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package Taco Bell taco seasoning
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips, optional
- Cook the ground beef thoroughly.
- Mix together, in a large saucepan, the beef, beans/ham, taco seasoning, corn, and bell pepper. Cook on medium heat until the corn in cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.