For lunch, I grilled tri-tip steak marinated in balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, and teryaki sauce. That marinade smelled so good, I just about wanted to drink it...but that would be over the top, don't you think? Served with grilled pineapple and steamed rice.
For supper, we had a pasta creation. It's a combination of four different recipes, and it was rich but delicious.
Pasta & Chicken & Schtuff
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 slices of bacon, diced
- 4 leeks, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6-7 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Pasta of your choice
- In a large skillet, saute bacon and leeks until bacon is crisp and leeks are softened. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet. Add chicken and saute until cooked thoroughly, about 10 minutes.
- (Now's a good time to start the pasta cooking.)
- While chicken is cooking, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Stir in two tablespoons flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add 1 cup milk to the flour mixture, stirring continuously until all lumps are gone.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese into white sauce. Cook on medium until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Now back to the chicken skillet. Remove chicken from pan, putting it with the bacon and leeks.
- Melt1 tablespoon butter in skillet. Add mushrooms and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Return the bacon, leeks and chicken to the skillet. Stir together.
- Pour the white sauce over the chicken mixture. Stir.
- Serve over the pasta.