Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My favorite mom-isms

Every mom has them, those special sayings reserved just for your kids. My mom's favorite was, "Unless there is blood, I don't want to hear about it."

We have our own repertoire of sayings, and here are my favs:

  • No hits, no spits, no fits. This is our golden rule for toddler-hood, the minimum we expect from our girls, from age 1 to, well, 8. :)
  • Happy Hula, Happy Hula, Lainie made Yellow! (Or brown.) That's our potty training song, used on all the girls thusfar. And it works, but it does require some fancy hip-shakin'.
  • Don't be so atti-toot-ee. It's used when the girls start acting pre-teen and almost always makes them giggle, which diffuses the tension.
  • Pick a number from 1 to 10. Yep, folks, that's how a majority of our "it's my turn!" arguments are solved. Closest person wins. I think it's a throw-back to our diaper-changing solution of paper-rock-scissors to see who's turn it is.
  • Just remember, treat others the way you want to be treated. That one is almost always preceeded by some injustice of sister-not-letting-me-play-with-_____.
  • Add it to your wishlist. It doesn't matter what time of year it is, if the girls go to the store and see something they really really want, then we never walk out of the store with it. Instead, we tell them to add to their wishlist. It's amazing how many things get dropped from the list.
How about you? I'd love to here your favorite mom-isms. Maybe I can add to my list! :)

No comments: