Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups finely chopped tomatoes*
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- In a large stock pot, saute onion over medium heat in oil until soft and translucent.
- Add salt, pepper, dried basil, and flour. Cook for a few minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth to flour mixture until mixed thoroughly.
- Add tomatoes and stir. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- (The kids LOVE watching this part, and it's a great opportunity for an impromptu science lesson.) Stir in baking soda and sugar.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add half-and-half and fresh basil.
- Stir and simmer for at least 5 minutes. Turn heat to low until ready to serve.
My family likes to add Goldfish crackers for the kids, or shredded mozerella for the adults.
*If you don't have access to fresh tomatoes, substitute 14 oz can diced tomatoes and 14 oz canned crushed tomatoes