Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pause

This morning started like any typical day in our house, with the six of us running (or toddling) around like a pack of rats on a field trial for Monster drink. Get everyone dressed, fed, shoed. Get Jay's meds done. Load up kids, backpacks, diaper bag, purse, lunches, work bags, and everything else for the morning. Drop the kids off at school, do some stuff for Teacher Appreciation Week (have you thanked your teacher today?!). Then, load Natalie up and head home.

Then something funny happened. I didn't have to be anywhere, didn't have to do anything. Natalie fell asleep on the way home, and I carried her up to her room. Instead of laying her down and running down stairs to tackle the next meeting or activity, I rocked her. I held her tiny tot self on my shoulder and rocked, listening to her breathing and the sound of the birds coming in through the open window. She snuggled up into the nook of my neck, and we just enjoyed it.

At least I know I did.

No comments: