Friday, May 1, 2009

Big day for my middle girls

Yesterday, Maggie had her entrance evaluation for kindergarten. She did great, meaning she cooperated. We had no concerns about her ability to do everything they are asking her to do, but sometimes Maggie will fake ignorance or say "i don't remember" when we ask her a question. These fakes are always followed by a big grin, so we know she's just faking it, and I was concerned she'd pull that with the teachers. Thankfully, she did everything they asked and it went well. She told me afterwards that she is ready to go to pretend kindergarten now. I don't know why she thinks it pretend, but whatever works!

And Lainie sang at story hour. I think she knows she sounds different enough when she talks that she prefers to not talk if anyone is around, besides family. Slowly, over the past two months, she started talking to more and more people, in more settings. This is the first time she sang the songs and participated at story hour! It really made my day, like maybe the running to and from preschool and speech evaluations and the constant pushing her to talk instead of grunting and pointing is finally paying off. What's interesting is, she sings on tune. She can't always make the words clearly, but she can sing the tune enough that we can recognize the song.

As a follow-up to last week's post, I haven't started the fenugreek/blest thistle combo yet, but I did start eating oatmeal every day, pumping every time Natalie sleeps for more than 2 hours during the day, and just working on getting more. I loved the article on kellymom, if for no other reason than reassuring me that 2 ounces of milk per pumping session is the normal amount. I'll just keep pumping, in hopes to keep Natalie on breatmilk through 6 months of age, ideally. It won't be easy, but it's a lot easier than the guilt of the alternative and the hit to the checkbook. Yikes, formula is expensive!

No comments: