Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Weekend

I think it's safe to say this Mother's Day weekend was more about the grandmas and great-grandmas than me. And, I'll admit, I'm a little pouty about it, but at the same time, I'm glad and grateful that we could spend that time with them.

Saturday, the girls and I were in Wichita with my family. It always goes by too fast and seems hectic, but it's always worth it. My parents and I took our four girls to Krispy Kreme, where we met my brother and his two kids. Then my parents and I took all six kids to Wal-mart to pick up a few essentials, then back to their house for play time. It's great to see the kids get to play with their cousins, and I even got a big nap. My highlight of the day was during church Saturday night, with Natalie smiling in my lap and Lainie, Maggie, and Katie all snuggled up next to me, making faces at her. It was just one of those sweet, mama moments when I can appreciate what wonderful gifts I have, a window of calm sweetness.

Sunday, I got to sleep in until 9:30, if you don't count the 4 a.m. feeding and 6:15 Wake-up-Jay-Lainie's-awake-and-it's-mother's-day-so-you-get-up shoving. Then, we ate breakfast, got everyone bathed and dressed nicely, then headed to a late lunch. Natalie and Lainie fell asleep during lunch, so I got to eat with both hands! Now THAT was a treat! From there, we went to Abilene to spend a few hours with Jay's mom, and then with his grandma.

My grandmothers both passed away while I was in college. I still wish I could call Grandma Pete, stop by her house and show her my daughters, call her when I'm struggling with my faith or relationships. She was a one-of-a-kind woman, one I strive to be like. My grandmothers are gone, but Jay is lucky enough to have both of his with us. I love it whenever the girls can spend time with either of their great-grandmothers.

After getting to see both their grandmas in one weekend, Katie and Maggie asked if they could spend a couple days with each of them this summer. Since we're not chasing t-ball this summer, I hope that can be arranged. It'll be hard on Lainie, but Katie and Maggie would love it.

We got home in time for frozen pizza for supper, then a busy busy couple hours to get everything ready for the week. My house needs cleaned, my laundry needs put away, and we'll have company on Tuesday. It's getting to the point that it's easier to stay home and do nothing during the weekend, so I can maybe not stress about everything the rest of the week.

But, I'm trying to recall and hold onto that moment of sweetness Saturday night. Now THAT is what Mother's Day is all about.

No comments: