Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What I think is wrong with the country.

Common sense is gone. It is replaced with
  • laws that make it illegal to put gestating sows in farrowing crates... because letting them squash-and-kill and eat their young is a much better alternative?
  • regulations that require all restaurants to post the nutritional information for all menu items... because someone who thinks Freddy's frozen custard is low in fat is actually going to be able to comprehend the dietary guidelines?
  • lawsuits from school districts suing the state to give them more money...because the state actually has any more to give?
  • an education testing system that requires all students meet average standards... because everyone is equally intelligent?
  • ...there are so many more, but I've probably made enough people mad.

There are too many people without common sense running things. It's as if everyone with a lick of sense just got tired of the fight and became apathetic. Instead of fighting for the reasonable approach, they now just sit back and say, "ah, forget it. Do what you want. I don't care anymore." And those without common sense make up for their ignorance with determination. They are so convinced they are right, that they are unwilling to listen to the other side of the argument or broaden their knowledge base, in fear that they may be proven wrong.

I don't think I'm right all the time. Far from it. But I am willing to listen to your reasons and make an informed decision. All I ask is for the mutual respect, and that you return the favor. Talk to me...maybe we can work something out.

And as I type this, I realize I'm guilty of being the dominating ignorant one, when it comes to parenting. Maybe as a Mom I'm supposed to be in charge, but I also could take time, more often, to listen to the "why" they don't think they should do something. If the reason why is a, well, reasonable one, then maybe we can negotiate. If it's something as substantial as Maggie's standard, "Because it's BOR-RING!", then I can return to my alpha female role.

Your thoughts?

No comments: