Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Did I mention my Doc ROCKS!

He really is awesome. I went to my appointment Monday totally exhausted and ready to just finish this. I had 4 hours sleep on Sunday night and was just wore out. But, he's listened to me explain why I was focusing on 41 weeks -- in hopes that my labor could start on its own, but if it doesn't start on its own, I wouldn't need as much pitocin and could avoid the epidural or any other drugs. That, and Maggie was born at 38 weeks and was so sensitive to everything, but Lainie born at 40 weeks was so healthy, at least for her first 18 months.

After checking me and the baby, he said he'd rather wait until the 23rd (41 weeks). He said, although my cervix is very favorable and an induction would be fine right now, that it wouldn't hurt to give the baby another couple weeks to grow. Thank you, Doc, for taking it out of my hands and helping me stick to what I've said I wanted all along -- to not be induced early.

So, officially, I was 3 cm dilated, continuing the 1-cm per week rate that I've done with all my pregnancies. The baby is a little small, says Doc, which I have thought for awhile. But, the heartbeat is strong and everything looks great.

I got decent sleep last night and feel more able to handle the contractions for another couple days. I'll just try to get through one day at a time, one night at a time, and try to enjoy this as much as is possible. Try, being the operative word. :)

1 comment:

Tara said...

If it helps, when I was waiting on Ronan-contracting, dilating, but not going into labor--and losing patience/faith in my body, my midwife said, "Your body is spending a HUGE amount of energy to keep that baby in there. It just wouldn't do that if there wasn't a reason. That baby is still working on something, even if we don't know what--it must be important." Kind of goes with what you said about M versus L.

Hope you get some good sleep tonight! I love hearing so many updates on how you are doing. :)