Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Appointment update

We had a sonogram today, and I'm ecstatic to report everything looked perfect. Baby not only has perfect little organs, but also has a head full of hair waving in the amniotic fluid.

After the sono, we had our 32 week appointment with doc. The contractions, while painful and consistent, are not causing dilation. We are continuing with the current plan of strict bedrest and procardia three times a day, a fourth time if I can't get the contractions down to every 10 minutes. Doc did say I should get up every hour for 2-3 minutes during the day, just to prevent a blood clot. And, while I haven't gained any weight in three weeks, baby is growing right on schedule, estimated at 4 pounds.

I told him part of me just wants to get up and do stuff, just to see if it's not that bad. He, and Jay, were very emphatically against that. In doc's words, "Give us two more weeks first." He was also great at cheering me on, saying more than once, good job and you are doing great. I'm not sure how to articulate this, but it's nice to know that doing nothing is so appreciated. I know how important it is to do everything we can to keep this baby in, for as long as we can, but I'm also appreciative to hear someone understand that bedrest -- especially 8+ weeks of it -- is more of a jail sentence and less of a chance to relax and take it easy. It brings new meaning to the term "confinement".

And so, we continue. And in the meantime, check out the hair on this baby!
Baby's profile, with a little hand under his/her chin

That fuzzy stuff on the right is hair. You can see baby's chubby cheek and, on the top left, a little fist.


No comments: